Saturday, November 21, 2009

National Adoption Day

Felt MUCH better today! I didn't think the 12-hour Alavert that Mom had brought me yesterday had helped a whole lot, but boy I can tell when it's worn off.

Tagged along for the official adoption ceremony of Valerie 'Daisy' Jacobson today. I was serving as photographer, but I've known Daisy pretty much her whole life, so it was a little emotional too. I had to concentrate on photographing the event so I didn't get choked up. Take pictures, take pictures, don't cry, take pictures. Sunshine also tagged along, and I put her to work. She's good friends with Jacobson kid #2, but did a very good job handling my other camera. In fact she got more photos than I did, mostly of the same stuff, but from different angles, which is always good. Daisy's biological brother, Daniel, was fostered by the Jacobsons almost from the day he was born. They officially adopted him two years ago today, which was about a month after they took in days-old Daisy.

The Itsy Bitsy Spider saved a lot of photos today. I mention it because that same spider saved my sanity many times when my kiddos were younger. Cooped up in a van for 21 hours with an 18-month-old who would SO much rather be out of his carseat? Sing that wonderful song for hours and hours and hours and hours on end. What is it about that spider that little ones (particularly those under age four), find so captivating?

2 comments:

Beaver said...

I REMEMBER that trip with the 18-month-old. And it seems that the Itsy Bitsy Spider was the best part. :)

No more Twizzlers.

Motorcycle grandma said...

Traveling or not, my Buckaroo LOVES when we sing that song. He covers my hands with his and we do the hand motions.