Thursday, February 26, 2009

Trim time

That's it. No more procrastinating. Today I am reforming my eating and exercise habits. I could use the excuse that I've gained sympathy weight, being that my sister is pregnant, but she lives three states away, so that one doesn't really fly. The truth is that I've been unbelievably lazy in my exercise and downright stupid with my eating. I've gained about 15 pounds over the winter, and am 20 pounds heavier than I want to be.

About five years ago, I found myself in a similar predicament, so I did a good bit of research, consulted a good friend who is a personal trainer, and put together an daily nutrition/exercise plan that's easy (not TOO much sweat!), just requires some discipline. I stuck with it and lost the weight in about three months. I was five years younger then, but I'm hoping it will work for me again. My goal is to get back down to my ideal weight by July, then just eat sensibly and exercise regularly. So this morning I dug out my aerobic step, my nutrition plan, and my hand weights (poor dusty things!), and got moving.

I'm posting here as a means to keep myself accountable. I won't bore you with the nitty-gritty details, but I will post a progress report once a week.

Here's one of my breakfast recipes (actually pretty good! I toss in about a tablespoon of dried fruit, too)
POWER OATMEAL

1 packet plain instant oatmeal
½ cup skim milk
½ scoop flavored protein powder or protein drink mix
1 packet Splenda

Prepare oatmeal with skim milk. Add protein powder and Splenda. Stir.

Oatmeal with milk: 140 calories, 1.5 g. fat, 24 g. carbs, 8 g. protein
Protein powder: 57 calories, 1 g. fat, 2 g. carbs, 10 g. protein
TOTAL: 197 calories, 2.5 g. fat. 26 g. carbs, 18 g. protein
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Motorcycle grandma said...

Great sounding recipe. I'm tempted to challenge you as I too need to lose 15lbs. (I'm sure it's sympathy weight being my niece is pregnant) Howver, I'm withholding the challenge as you have youth on your side. My food choices are good, I just need to make hitting the gym a priority. On that note, my workout stuff is in the jeep - today is Thursday, that strength training on the legs and a light cardio workout. Good luck, sweetie!

David in Ohio said...

Hi Stace! My experience......the older you are the more "sweat" is required.

I'm sure you'll do fine. The biggest step is making the commitment!!!!

Love and prayers!